The oil is extracted from the flaxseed, a seed from the plant Linum usitatissimum. Widely used in making several medicines, the oil is also taken by people as a laxative for constipation, to prevent breastcancer, prostatecancer and for weight loss. This is also applied on the skin to sooth irritations. Obtained from dried and ripened seeds of flax plant.
Flaxsees oil is colorless to yellow colored oil, extracted from the seeds of flax plant. This oil is recommended for many different conditions, including high cholesterol and rheumatoid arthritis. Other than this, it is also used for the cure of anxiety, osteoarthritis, vaginal infections, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), dry eyes, hardening of arteries, heart disease, high blood pressure, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and diabetes.
- It is used as a common carrier used in oil paint, imparting more fluidity, transparency and glossiness
- Due to its excellent drying properties, the oil is used in amazing putty that is used as a sealant for glass windows
- Used in wood finish, the flaxseed oil dries slowly and shrinks little upon hardening
- Boiled flaxseed oil is widely used as sizing in the traditional oil gilding for pasting the sheets of gold leaf to a substrate
- This oil is used to bind cork particles, wood dust and other materials for manufacturing floor covering
- Fresh, refrigerated and unprocessed flaxseed oil is used as a nutritional supplement
- Also used to formulate several medicines for rheumatoid, arthiritis and high cholesterol conditions
Colourless to yellowish oil with rich source of omega oils like alpha-linolenic acid, also known as an omega-3 fatty acid
Major compounds are α-linolenic acid (51.9-55.2%), palmitic acid (about 7%), stearic acid (3.4-4.6%), oleic acid (18.5-22.6%) and linoleic acid (14.2-17%).
Anti-estrogenic, analgesic, cardiotonic, anti-inflammatory, emollient, demulcent, laxative, expectorant, pectoral, nervine, purgative and resolvent.
Blends Well With
Linseed oil is a common carrier used in . It can also be used as a painting medium, making oil paints more fluid, transparent and glossy. It is available in varieties such as cold pressed, alkali refined, sun bleached, sun thickened, and polymerised (stand oil). The use of linseed oil was a significant step in the technology of oil paintLinseed oil is used to bind wood dust, cork particles, and other materials in the manufacture of the floor covering.